As a rule, I never leave home without some sort of a snack in tow. You just never know where you may end up and for how long. Since I turn into an irrational, volatile, useless person when hungry (it runs in my family), I do what I can to avoid such circumstances.
My typical on the go snack is an apple and snack bar. As I shop for bars, I look at the ingredients and nutrition facts carefully. My goal is to serve up a quick snack, not replace a meal. So, I buy bars that are: made with whole food ingredients, approximately 200 calories, low in sugar, and serve up some protein. I want the main ingredients to be nuts & fruit. Sure, I could make a nice little trail mix to carry around, but I much prefer the portion control and flavor varieties that bars provide.
- LARABAR Peanut Butter Cookie 220 calories, protein 7g, sugar 18g
- Kind Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate + Protein 200 calories, protein 7g, sugar 10g
- LARABAR Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip 220 calories, protein 6g, sugar 19g
- Kind Dark Chocolate Nuts and Sea Salt 200 calories, protein 6g, sugar 5g
- Kind Apple Cinnamon Pecan 190 calories, protein 4g, sugar 10g