I was in the Denver airport last month. It was 7pm and my flight was delayed. I was hungry, but wasn’t about to spend another $15 on a crappy airport salad, like I had earlier in the day in Virginia. So, I headed to the food court to see what I could do.
I was looking for quality greens, lean protein and good fat. I ended up searching the Jamba Juice menu for a blend that didn’t include protein powder, sorbet or excessive fruit. What I walked away with was random, healthy and exactly what I wanted. I made some modifications to the Amazing Greens Smoothie (took out the peaches and asked for light banana) and ended up with a blend of kale, banana, pumpkin seeds, water and ice.
It’s inspired a new smoothie in my house – Green Sunshine! I tweaked the ingredients a bit and have been making it for the past several weeks.
Green Sunshine Smoothie
makes 1 serving
- 1/4 banana, frozen is best
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1 tbs hemp seeds
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 1 tbs coconut (unsweetened)
- 1/8 c raw almonds
- 1/8 c raw pumpkin seeds
- 3 stems of kale, rinsed and pulled off the stem OR a handful of power greens
- water, I start with about 1/4 cup and add from there to get the right consistency
- prepare the ingredients
- load a high powered blender. I have the best results when I load it in this order: water, nuts and seeds, orange, banana, kale, ice
- blend until smooth. Add more water and/or ice to get the desired consistency.
- approximately 400 calories
- approximately 16 grams of protein.
- approximately 19 grams of healthy fat
- loaded with vitamins K, C and A
- a mild sweetness, courtesy of orange and banana
- super hydrating
- loaded with fiber
I go in and out of protein powder phases. I’m in an “out” phase at the moment. How about you?