If you’re looking for a quick bite packed with protein (like I seem to be 24/7), you should definitely try out Protein Nibblers. Chalene Johnson posted a recipe on Instagram a while back and since then I have had a regular supply in my freezer.
I have played with several variations to the recipe and landed on the one below as my favorite.
- 1 cup powdered peanut butter (PB2, Just Great Stuff, Provident Pantry, etc.)
- 1 1/2 scoop of chocolate protein powder
- 1 cup of oats
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- Grind the oats into a course flour. I use a hand blender, but a regular blender would work fine too.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Press the mixture into a parchment paper lined casserole dish.
- If you like a touch of chocolate chips (I have a friend who does, wink wink) press a few semi sweet chocolate chips into the top of the “dough”.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
- Once it is frozen, remove from the freezer and cut them into pieces.
Tip: I vary the sizes of my pieces (tiny, small, medium, grande) so that I can grab a size that fits what I am looking for. If I am reaching for a pre-workout snack, I would go for tiny. For a mid-morning snack I would likely choose grande (or dos grandes).
Variations: You can substitute almond butter for peanut butter, but I much prefer the peanut butter version. Vanilla protein powder works well with the almond butter variation. As for this chocolate fan, I stick to what I like best – chocolate and peanut butter all the way.
What is your favorite on-the-go, protein-packed snack?