Forgive me, but I have to take you back to Thanksgiving for a moment. There were 16 of us at my mom’s house on Thanksgiving day. My aunt and cousins came down from Vacaville with a 34.5 pound turkey that they raised. It was so perfectly NorCal of them. Between the mammoth turkey and all of the traditional Thanksgiving dishes, we had more food than we could eat in a week.
As we polished off plates, my aunt brought a tray of chocolate mousse to the table. The pie was still to come, but the chocolate mousse was more like an appetizer-dessert. Each person had their own dish of no more than 4 spoonfuls; the perfect post-dinner portion. While I wasn’t sure I have room for any more food, my love for chocolate mousse forced me to chance it. I ate mine and then finished off my brother’s too. It was perfection.
To my delight, it turns out that my genius aunt’s chocolate mousse is a healthier version of the traditional recipe. Instead of heavy cream, eggs, and sugar it calls for avocado, coconut milk, and honey. Although the honey knocks it out of the “vegan” category, it’s dairy free and far healthier than most chocolate treats.
I whipped it up last night for a little Saturday night treat. It took about 5 minutes from start to finish, including clean up. A healthy, quick, easy, and delicious dessert – I mean, could it get any better?
Recipe: Make Room For The Chocolate Mouse
Makes 4 servings
- 1 medium sized avocado
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- splash of vanilla
- dash of salt
- dash of cinnamon
- Place all ingredients except for the salt and cinnamon into a blender/food processor.
- Blend for 15 seconds. Scrape the sides of the blender to make sure all ingredients are blended. Blend again, if necessary.
- Taste the mousse and add more cocoa powder/honey/coconut milk to taste. I ended up adding more of all three to my batch (probably because I used a large avocado).
- Separate the mousse into individual serving containers.
- Sprinkle a criss cross of salt and cinnamon on the top of each serving. This really adds a flavorful touch.
- Either serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator.