Every 28 days or so, I get laaaaazy in the kitchen. I have no creativity or desire to spend more than 5 minutes on preparing a meal. (Actually I have no desire to spend 5 minutes doing anything that feels remotely like “work”.) Hormones are a disruptive bitch, aren’t they? (Men: you have no friggin clue.)
Last month, there was a string of 5 days where dinner consisted of sautéed cauliflower rice + protein. It was terribly boring and we went through all the hot sauce in the house trying to compensate for the lack of flavor and variety. It could have been worse (i.e. quesadillas 5 nights in a row), but still I could do so much better.
Well, hormones. You’re not going to get the best of me this time around! PMS sucks, but my dinners don’t have to! I have 5 dinners planned for the next PMS Spiral. They are terribly simple (perfect), healthy and fall closer to the “comfort food” side of the spectrum, for obvious reasons. I give myself (and YOU) the permission to make no-fuss, no-impress dinners for 5 nights in a row. Because, we ain’t kidding nobody when it’s that time of the month. Mission critical tasks only, people. Feed yourself. Feed your family. (In that order.) And make enough for lunch the next day… anything to avoid inhaling mac and cheese by the bowl when lunch rolls around.
Here’s the line up:
- Sautéed chicken sausage + sautéed brussel sprouts + quinoa
- Rotisserie chicken + pasta (quinoa/brown rice noodles) + sautéed spinach, mushrooms and garlic
- Sautéed ground chicken/turkey + steamed broccoli + cauliflower rice
- Lentil soup + quinoa (or cauliflower rice) + avocado
- Cold peanut noodles + rotisserie chicken
And because PMS leaves me walking around grocery stores wondering, “where the hell is the dark chocolate?”, I’ve prepared a grocery list for myself.
- rotisserie chicken (New Seasons or Whole Foods Market)
- package of shaved brussel sprouts (Trader Joe’s)
- package of garlic and herb chicken sausage (Trader Joe’s)
- quinoa (bulk bin at New Seasons or WFM or package at Trader Joe’s)
- organic, low sodium chicken broth (Trader Joe’s)
- brown rice + quinoa fusilli pasta (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 bag of organic spinach (Trader Joe’s) or Earthbound Farms Organic Power Greens (Costco)
- package of organic mushrooms (Trader Joe’s)
- 1.5 pounds organic ground chicken (New Seasons or WFM)
- 1 package of organic broccoli (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 package of split red lentils (Trader Joe’s)
- avocados and plenty of them
- brown rice + quinoa spaghetti noodles (Trader Joe’s)
- TONS of frozen, organic riced cauliflower (Trader Joe’s)
- red peppers
- jalapeno peppers
- shaved parmesan (because it will make meals 1-4 super delicious.)
- dark chocolate with sea salt (New Seasons or WFM)
- DO NOT BUY: dried mango or ice cream. Your PMS self knows no limits and will devour all until you’re ill.
Am I the only one that hits a food funk ever 28 days or so? (I think not!) Dark chocolate is my PMS food obsession. What’s yours?