UPDATE: Nike recently launched a brand new NTC app. Read what I have to say about it here.
You all know how I feel about Nike Training Club, and if you don’t check this out. NTC is a staple in my workout routine, so I am really jazzed about the v3.0 update. The release was scheduled for December 31st and I’ve been counting the days until I see My Precious… I feel like a Frodo-dressed tween who camps out in front of Edwards Cinema’s for days on end. Nerd alert! Don’t care!
That said, you can imagine my excitement when I opened my NTC app last night to find the update ready to rock! Thankfully the kids were asleep and my husband was out, so I could focus on what really matters – My Precious. I spent an hour geeking out and then gushed to the Internet. It was perfection – even better than the night I watched the Sex In The City movie for the first time.
Here is the update as I see it…
The Significant Enhancements:
- 30 day workout programs tailored to your personal goal and fitness level. There are three program types offered: Get Lean, Get Toned, Get Strong. Each program has three levels to choose from based on your fitness level. The training program includes the option to integrate running for a more complete regimen. Yoga workouts are used for rest and rejuvenation.
- Integration with Nike+ Running app to track the runs you complete in your program. I look forward to digging into this integration deeper to see if runs completed outside a program are also tracked in NTC.
- Customization options within an existing workout allow you to swap out a drill for an alternative that is more suitable to your body, goal, ability.
- On the techy side, the workouts are now individually downloadable, reducing the app size by 500+ MB. There is the option to download all at once too.
The Bells and Whistles:
- A variety of Yoga workouts have been added! Previously, Yoga workouts were few and only available as the user “unlocked badges” in the rewards program. Namaste, Nike!
- Each workout now includes a 10 second transition between each drill. It’s perfect – long enough to transition, but not enough time to “recover”.
- The workouts that were previously in “Bonus Workouts”, are now included in the four NTC workout categories (Get Lean, Get Toned, Get Strong, Get Focused).
- During a workout, the display includes an indication of the next drill. Good call, Nike!
- Once you complete a workout, you can rate your experience (on a scale of 5 stars).
- v3.0 allows you to set reminders and alerts for future planned workouts.
- Ability to share your workouts and achievements with the NTC community.
What Remains the Same:
- The four workout categories in which the 100+ workouts are organized remain: Get Lean, Get Toned, Get Strong, Get Focused. Workouts are in a 15, 30, or 45 minute format.
- Instructional audio, video, and photos are included for each drill.
- Music from either your phone or another app can run simultaneously to NTC.
- A personal workout summary including: approximate NikeFuel, approximate calories, and total minutes after each workout.
- Rewards earned for total minutes of NTC completed. This feature appears to be slightly modified though – previously you earned “Badges” and in NTC 3.0 you earn “Trophies”. It is unclear whether or not the “Trophies” unlock any bonus content in the app (as the “Badges” did previously.)
- You can still
shop fordrool over suggested Nike training gear through the NTC app.
What I’m Most Revved Up About:
Well, there are two things:
1. The integration with Nike + Running streamlines the tracking of my running and training progress. I will likely move to using Nike+ Running app instead of Runkeeper for this reason. Keeping things simple!
2. The customized training program is really exciting. With so many NTC workouts to choose from, it will help me hone in on the workouts that will get me closer to my specific goal. Yoga and running are optional integrations, which will be a non-negotiable for each training program I do (barring any running injuries of course).