UPDATE: NTC recently launched a new NTC app. Read what I have to say about it here.
A week ago I got wind of the updated Nike Training Club (NTC) app. I have used the app almost every day for the past seven days and logged over two hundred minutes of NTC workouts. I am wildly impressed and excited to have this app in my workout arsenal!
In a nutshell, Nike Training Club is a free app for iOS and Android. It has over 100 full-body workouts developed by Nike professional trainers. The workouts range in difficulty (beginner, intermediate, and advanced) and duration (15, 30 and 45 minutes). Each workout consists of a series of drills to either: lean, tone, strengthen or target a specific body part. Each user creates a profile and earns rewards and bonuses based on the completed workouts. Nike can give you more detail here.
I recommend the Nike Training Club app for athletes who are:
- interested in dynamic, challenging, and fun workout
- willing to focus and mentally engage
- eager to push themselves
My experience so far has been nothing short of awesome. The workouts provide an excellent platform for me to push myself, maximize my effort, and be efficient with my time. The 30 and 45 minute workouts I have done are intense and similar to a whole body bootcamp. They are great for a stand alone workout. I like to do a 15 minute targeted workout after some cardio, or group a few of them together (and include one of the 15 minute crazy cardio drills) for a complete workout. There are bonus workouts too taught by actual Nike professional athletes, like some awesome stretching drills by runners and gymnasts. The options!
I use the app for workouts both in my garage and at the gym in the group fitness areas. The audio trainer coaches you through the workout; but don’t worry, you can still run your favorite music app at the same time. Genius! I find the visual cues to be helpful as I’m going through the workout, so I keep my phone on the ground in front of me so I can see a picture of the drill.
The night before my workout, I geek out on NTC and carefully choose my workout. My selection process:
- Choose a workout based on: time, intensity, type, integrated cardio, etc.
- Review each of the drills in the workout. I review the drill photos and form instructions and watch the how-to video for each drill. Nerd alert!!
- Go to sleep and dream that I’m an elite Nike athlete. Double nerd alert!!
A few suggestions before heading to the gym with NTC:
- Select your workout in advance. There are so many to choose from, so spend time finding one that suits your workout goal for the day.
- Review the drills in advance using the “how to” video and instructional photos so that you know the form for each drill.
- Be prepared with the proper equipment. Select a workout for which you have the proper equipment, or be ready with a modification. For instance, when I am at home I use a single dumbbell in place of a medicine ball.
- Be hydrated, fueled up and prepared to work hard. The workout will kick your booty if you do the drills back to back and only break when the NTC workout tells you to.
- Test the waters with a short 15 minute workout from the “Get Focused” category. Familiarize yourself with the NTC format via this workout and then go for a 30 or 45 minute workout from “Get Lean”, “Get Toned” or “Get Strong”.