Last weekend was the best. The sun, sand, water and company were hard to beat. For three days straight, my family was either on the sand or by the pool. And very rarely was I in the kitchen. (cue: Glory Glory Hallelujah)
On Saturday, I quickly whipped up a delicious pasta salad to share with friends by the pool that evening. The thing was massive and we ate it for dinner on Sunday too. It is going to be a summer staple in the Bodie house.
You can use any vegetable mix you choose. I recommend including roasted tomatoes at all times though – they’re just too good to leave out. My favorite combination is: red onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, eggplant and zucchini. Broccolini is pretty awesome in there too. Heck, just roast everything and toss it in!
Roasted Vegetable Pasta Salad
- 8 oz of spiral pasta. I like to use whole wheat pasta for this dish. When it comes to cold noodles, brown rice and/or quinoa noodles just don’t compare to whole wheat.
- lots of vegetables for roasting – for example: 4 zucchini, 1 red pepper, 1 orange pepper, 8oz broccolini, 1 large red onion, 3 tomatoes
- handful of arugula
- extra virgin olive oil
- garlic infused olive oil
- salt & pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Wash, dry and cut vegetables in roast-able pieces. Toss them in garlic infused olive oil and roast over an open flame/BBQ.
- Toss cooked pasta in a bit of extra virgin olive oil.
- Cut roasted vegetables into chunky pieces.
- Toss vegetables into pasta and mix well.
- Add arugula and toss well.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve hot or cold.
Enjoy as lunch at the beach, picnic at the park, dinner at home, road trip snack, poolside grub… etc.