My kids were invited to an ice cream social the other evening. We had plans and couldn’t go. Which caused quite the stir with the kids. Because, ICE CREAM MOM ICE CREAM MOM ICE CREAM MOM!! And since I’m cool (and totally feel their pain) I had to find a fast substitute.
Luckily I was just talking with a friend last week about making “ice cream” in the Vitamix with frozen fruit and it was top of mind. I found some frozen mango cubes in our freezer and threw some in the blender. And voila!
Hey kids! Sorry you can’t go to the ice cream social – the land of bounce houses and carnation ice cream overload – but hey, here’s some frozen fruit I blended up for ya’s. #schoolofhardknocks
And now here we are, three days past the ice cream social and I’m still making a daily batch of ice creamish. You know, because I’m cool like that… and because they get their love of ice cream from their mama. I’m sure I’ll be scooping this stuff for the remainder of the Holiday weekend. And while I’m sure Gwyneth has a more delicious (and complicated) way of doing this, my simple version works too.
Hello, Ice Creamish:
- Blend 1 cup of frozen fruit in a blender with 1 teaspoon of milk/almond milk/coconut milk. Add 3-5 chocolate chips, if you’re feeling cray.
- Let the blender do it’s thing. Be patient. Scrape the contents down into the blender and blend again a few times over.
- Scrape it out and scoop it up.
Here’s some flavor variations we’ve been scooping up this week:
- Mango: 1 cup cubed, frozen mango + 1 tsp coconut milk + 3-5 chocolate chips (optional) + topped with unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- Chocolate Chip: 1 cup of frozen, sliced bananas + 1 tsp almond milk + 3-5 chocolate chips + splash of vanilla
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip *Winner Winner Winner*: 1 cup of frozen, sliced bananas + 1 tsp almond milk + 3-5 chocolate chips + 1 tsp peanut butter
What should I try next? I’m thinking peach. What say you?