In the warmer months, salad (the huge and delicious kind) is what’s for dinner in my house. While my people and I are salad lovers, come the end of Summer, we are all ready for a menu change. The chill in the air yesterday was my queue… It’s time to bring on the soup. Guys, soup is the new salad!
In the cooler months, soup is my go-to for a healthy, satisfying, one-pot meal. It’s a great way to serve up flavorful protein and veggies for a healthy and filling dinner. Last night’s soup was just that!
Chicken and Vegetable Soup a la Mexicana
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper
- 2 zucchini
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 can black beans
- 4 cups chicken broth (I prefer low-sodium)
- 1 cup of brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups cooked chicken (I used grilled chicken already prepared by Trader Joes)
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil
- chopped cilantro
- diced jalapeño
- Dice the onion, zucchini and peppers and toss in the garlic infused olive oil.
- Broil the diced veggies (If you don’t have time for this, skip it and instead sauté the veggies with olive oil in your soup pot.)
- Combine the veggies, black beans, chicken broth, and taco seasoning into a pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer.
- Add chicken and rice to the pot. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with cilantro, jalapeño and lime.