Gosh darn it! My julienne peeler and I are late to the zucchini noodle party! Oh well, better late than never. I’m just happy to have found an excuse not to cut a spaghetti squash in half (just kidding, it ain’t that bad).
One of my best buds (also a Fun Fit Friend) shared a zucchini noodle recipe with me. She said it was super good and that both her husband (major league steak fan) and toddler (major league darling) were all about it. I was a bit skeptical – first off, I rarely eat or cook with bacon. Secondly, I was having trouble with the vision of runny eggs over floppy squash. Thankfully I got over both of those things and gave it a shot. This light and savory dish is absolutely delicious!
Zucchini Noodles with Bacon and EggsMakes 2 servings
- 4 strips of turkey bacon, chopped
- 4 large zucchini
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 of a red onion
- red pepper flakes, to taste (I use approx 1/4 tsp)
- 1 Tbs garlic infused olive oil
- parmesan cheese, just a pinch
- Using a Julienne peeler, shred your zucchini into noodles. I can never manage to peel the whole thing, so I save the core sections for roasting.
- Heat the olive oil and red pepper flakes in a sauce pan on medium.
- Add the chopped red onion and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the bacon to the saucepan. Cook until the bacon is done.
- Stir in the zucchini noodles and cook for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your eggs in a separate pan. Cook them up however you prefer, but I highly suggest a runny yolk.
- Separate the zucchini mixture on two plates and sprinkle a small amount of parmesan on top. Top the dish with the eggs.